Couple of questions that keeps popping up in my mind, Why are people around me telling me that I inspire them? and Why do they tell me that I’m more than an expert in the field than I think I am?. These kept me thinking. I never want to see myself as a social media expert. I do things because I want to, because I am interested in doing it, and because I believe I can do better. No one moment I’ll think I’m an expert in anything. More often, I’ll tell someone that I’m a “jane-of-most-trades“.
Then I chanced upon “The 12 Types Of “Social Media Experts” – Which One Are You?” by Rohit Bhargava, then I discovered why I’m known as who I am today. Let me break it down…
According to the post, there are 12 types of social media experts. So which am I?
- The Pretender – Nope.
- The Trainer/ Teacher – Yes, I was a teacher and I love sharing about my experiences and knowledge, I’ve done training for NDP09 and NDP10 new media team/blogging and I’ve also done some sharing at workshops/ camps. So I guess I’m 30% “the trainer”.
- The Professional Speaker – I can’t speak like a pro! You know me! I’ve got terrible stage fright. So nope, 0%.
- The Content Curator – I’ve been keeping bookmarks of my readings on tumblr, and used to try run some other blogs to consolidate interesting posts of certain topics, but those got killed after I started my journey as an entrepreneur. In progress is something which I hope to launch in couple months time, but till that happens, I shall not reveal. So hmm… I’m 15% a content curator.
- The Event Organiser – This I think I’m 50% of! Having ran gigs with TDM, SMB|SG, Tweet Tuesday, Barcamps etc etc, I think I’m playing a huge role as the organiser for social media gigs here. Agree?
- The Community Manager – I used to be one, and I’ve always wanted to build my own community of folks with similar passion and interests, but aren’t buying enough time to do it. But I do help few clients manage theirs, so guess besides work, I’m 10% still an active community manager in my own personal way I guess.
- The Content Creator – Only have got 5% of me for this blog where I create my own content, so yes, I’m one still. Cannot stop creating content imo. If I’ve more time and energy, I would love to create lots of content! Anyone wants to volunteer to help? We can talk!
- The Marketing Strategist – That’s what my team and I are doing right now isn’t it? Can I give 100% to it? Hmm… personally I think I’m 20% to 35% of this?
- The Designer/ Builder – 0.5%
- The Networker/ Connector – I keep having folks SMS-ing/ emailing me to ask for so-and-so hp/email etc, and I love meeting people and connecting with them in paths that we crossed. So I’m 14%?
- The Evangelist – Hmm… I organise events because I believe in the objectives and purposes in driving more awareness of the topics, I create content so that I can promote and create more believers… so does that makes me an evangelist? Guess I deserve to be 10% of this.
- The Entrepreneur – *Ahem!* 101%.
Now what’s my total percentage so far? LOL!
What about you? Which type of social media experts are you?